Tuesday 15 March 2016

End of Modular Self Evaluation - Visual Language


1.  Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice?
I have developed skills in observational drawing, and looking at how different line types can be used to explain the subject. I have learnt lots of different visual qualities that can be achieved by using bold gestural lines. Also how using reference imagery in an un-direct way where I can apply my imagination to it, and get ideas for characters and other images. A method I developed was drawing the same subject lots of times and letting it evolve into something new, this gave exciting and unpredictable results. The method of created vector images from simple line sketches is a key thing I learnt in the shape section, and also using a Wacom tablet. I learnt the difference between Photoshop and illustrator and they have totally different purposes, Photoshop is best for editing existing imagery, whilst illustrator is good for creating vector designs.

2. Which principles/ theories of image making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice?
It has been valuable for me to start think about the rules and methods of good composition. Although I was un-happy with most of my visual outcomes, the process of trying to achieve a good composition has made me realize new techniques for displaying images within my frame. Roughing is a process that I find more and more valuable as the course moves on, doing quick roughs with no craft involved, purely to look at different arrangements that my designs can have. Looking at how illustration can be applied to 3D and camera based work has been exciting, and made me realize how illustration doesn’t have to be flat line based work – communicating our ideas can be done in all kinds of ways, even including ourselves in the work. Looking at how Photoshop can improve designs, and also take away quality from handcrafted designs has been really important. It is something that will be vital for making professional work – as I am very interested in the combination of hand and digital work. Working with collage and found imagery has been useful to consider, re arranging and adding craft to found images could be a really good way to communicate an idea.

3. What strengths can you identify within your Visual Language submission you capitalise on these?
I think my strengths lay within the line-based drawing. I really engaged with this and found it most enjoyable. I liked experimenting with what can be achieved with fast and slow line types, gestural or controlled line, complex overlapping line and clean clinical lines. I enjoyed seeing how these gave a different effect to the image. I learnt a lot from this and would like to apply process like this to other medias and methods to learn what can be achieved. I learnt a lot from the shape task. I was surprised at how well my character designs translated into shape. It has made me realize how effective shape can be with no outlines and also how it can improve designs. Combining shape with my line quality styles is something I keep considering and am yet to experiment with. I would say I have strengths in experimentation, and trying out different ways of achieving the outcome. Teaching myself the different methods and process is done through experimentation – finding out what will work and what doesn’t.

4. What areas for development can you identify within your Visual Language submission and how will you address these in the future?
Development is definitely needed within composition, and drawing things within a landscape. I often draw things that are floating and are not grounded in a natural environment. Drawing more landscapes and objects from observation would be a good way to become more confident in the area. Working within a frame is not something I fully engaged with, I found it difficult keeping inside the frame – my drawings often evolve in an un-controlled way. I need to improve on accurate drawings that are carefully placed within frames for specific reasons (scale, depth, line of sight etc.). Application of colour is something I need to improve, I had a lot of un clean and un professional looking coloured pieces. I need to experiment with more coloured medias and keep using them until I’m comfortable with them.

5. In what way has this module informed how you deconstruct and analyse artwork (whether your own or that of contemporary practitioners)?
It has made me think about the process more, and also what media and tools where used to create it. It has made me look much closer at the line qualities of artwork and the hand movements that would be needed to produce the line. Same with mark making, I’ve found myself wondering how marks and pattern have been made – what drawing tool or gesture? It has made me look out for digital enhancing, and weather colour has been applied digitally or by hand. It has made me question the composition of artwork and ask myself why things have been placed where they have, and if this is the most effective way to display it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment