Sunday 15 November 2015

End of Module Self Evaluation

Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your practice?
I have learnt to use specific parts of reference imagery and interpret it my own way that is not copying the image directly, and use it to develop images from my imagination. Drawing in a loose and gestural way without being to precious has helped me understand how an image is constructed, meaning I can then manipulate it in my own way. Ive learn how to produce a range of rough designs that are quick and look at a variety of approaches to the subject. I have learnt how to use my own imaginative ideas to communicate a specific theme or meaning. I have looked at how drawing with different line qualities can change the effect the images give. Scanning my drawing and manipulating it on photoshop made it look much more professional and industry standard. Using character was a good way for me to explain a scenario or communicate a message. Finding things from reference to include in my characters was a good way to make them suitable to the theme or context.

Which principles/ theories of image making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these?
Working against mandatory requirements has been beneficial to me, giving me an idea of how working for a client would really be. Working in a specific frame size has improved the way I think about composition, and how to use the space in the most effective way. Looking at communication through images has made me think about them differently. The way that we read an images content and how we can portray different messages in the drawings. I really struggled with the editorial illustration brief but now looking back it has taught be valuable skills in how I can communicate with my drawing.

What strengths can you identify within your submission and how have you capitalised on these?
I feel like I have taken a variety of approaches too each brief, meaning I have explored new ways of making images for each. Creating images that explain and communicate a specific message is something I am unfamiliar with, so I feel this is a good skill I have developed. Applying my experimental and imaginative way of working to a real product (book cover) is something I have learnt, I will look at solving briefs in this way in future. I think the aesthetic to my images has been more effective than the content, looking at appropriate content is something to improve on.

What areas for further development can you identify within your submission and how will you address these in the future?
I feel like digital imagery is something I need to work more with, looking at ways in which photoshop and illustrator can benefit my designs and exploring whether digital colour is appropriate. Because my outcomes have been mainly line based, I feel that tonal and minimal shape based imagery is something I should explore. Working with a variety of media is something to improve on, also looking for new experimental ways of using media. To get better outcomes in future briefs I will try being less precious with my final productions, to give me more fluidic and gestural results that look less crafted and precise. I think being more confident with way I produce images will benefit me as a practitioner.

In what way has this module introduced you to the Ba (Hons) illustration programme?
The coarse moves at a fast pace and the best way to get ideas is to throw out as many as you can, as quick as you can, figure out the ones that work best and develop them. The coarse makes you work in a way that is best for the illustration industry and is not just making nice pictures. The coarse has already made me think about illustration in a more commercial way, and I think is going to help me adapt my way of working to suit real life briefs. Also that the ideas and development process is just as important as the final outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment