Monday 16 May 2016

Evaluation



Leeds College of Art
BA (Hons) ILLUSTRATION
Level
04
OUIL402 Personal & Professional Practice 1
Credits
20
End of Module Self Evaluation

NAME
Wilf Dessent


1.  What learning have you inherited through this module and how has it impacted on your own understanding of professional practice? Consider yourself as a student at University as much as an illustrator
It has been valuable for me to start to understand the sort of illustration work that is currently being used. It can help me to judge weather the work I’m producing is suitable for professional standard illustration. I have found it interesting to see how important a consistent visual handwriting is what gives you personality as an illustrator. The process of finding artwork has made me more aware of how illustrators promote their work and the platforms they use to display it to the public. The visual diagram was really helpful for me, It allowed me to understand what the key things are that have been helping me improve my practice and specifically improve my drawn designs. 

2. What approaches/ types of research have you found most valuable over this module?
Why did they have such an impact?
I found going to the comic art festival had great impact on my motivation to draw. Seeing the comic artist draw things in front of me was inspirational and made me want to keep developing a visual signature of my own. I think primary research and learning through experiencing things is something I want to do much more of in the future. I found Pinterest is a really good way to discover current illustrators and artists that are working in the industry. Also looking at street art in different places I go I like seeing the types of work people are putting up for the public, it is really inspirational to my personal practice. But overall Id say looking at current illustrators work and asking myself how they have used their drawing skills has been the most valuable. And also looking at art I’m interested in!

3. In what way has PPP informed the way your work in other modules and your illustration practice as a whole?
It has informed in the sense that I need to develop a consistent drawing hand style. Although it’s good to experiment to learn new things I think it would be valuable to start to refine my way of drawing, as this is what will communicate my character and personality. And to experiment with what I draw within my handwriting rather than new media and process completely. And also develop my skills in the direction that I enjoy. Looking back at it now it has helped remind me that our practice is built up of lots of things we are interested in so I need to carry on being interested in things and carry on drawing in a way I enjoy.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your PPP submission and how will you address this in the future?
I think I should look at more illustrators that work conceptually rather than just the drawn aesthetic. I should reflect or more work that looks at methods of communication and information. I think it would have been a better submission if I had done more of my own responses to artist work. And looked how I could have gained skills from the research directly. If I had consistently blogged about work of my own that I liked and though worked well I would have been able to reflect better on my successes as a whole. I was late understand what the purpose of PPP really was, so next year I can be more consistent with reflective research of my own skills and artist work throughout the whole year. I’m still really unsure at where abouts my work sits in a professional world, I think finding the answer to this could be a good aim for next year.

5. What communities of practice and professional contexts do you intend to investigate further as you approach level 5? Why do they appeal to you?
I want to do much more screen printing next year, I think it’s a good way to make final solutions to my designs and also gives a nice finished professional quality to them. I want to continue to look at how character can be included in a concept. I’m interested in creating and developing character and I think it is a fun way of communicating. Making illustrations for clothing and products is something im interested in so I think I want to explore this in my personal work and have a go at printing some T-shirt designs.











6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance

x



Punctuality

x



Motivation


x


Commitment


x


Quantity of work produced
x




Quality of work produced

x



Contribution to the group

x



The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


A copy of your end of module self evaluation should be posted to your studio practice blog. This should be the last post before the submission of work and will provide the starting point for the assessment process. Post a copy of your evaluation to your PPP blog as evidence of your own on going evaluation.


Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment