Saturday 13 May 2017

Work from over summer...

Spray Painting:




  • After spending all last year refining ideas within a sketch-book or through print medias, I wanted to experiment with my large scale painting skills - looking at how I can apply it to my character designs.
  • I really enjoy working on a large scale - my drawing techniques can translate well into large scale.
  • I was a nice change to work on pieces like these rather than pen based work. Its a rewarding feeling creating a huge piece - its more a physical activity than usual sketching. I nice to put a lot of time and efforts into physically painting a piece - rather than just developing sketch ideas within a sketchbook - its a totally different kind of work - But the ideas can definitely be translated between the two.
  • After spending a year of exploring character design within illustration and doing very little large scale work - I could feel the influence it had on my ideas for characters when I picked up the spray can. 
  • Looking at how my ideas can translate into large scale is something I want to consider in future.


Canvas and Boards:










  • I experimented with how spray paint could be applied to smaller images to make shapes and textures as backgrounds for paint pen designs.
  • I enjoyed using spray paint on a smaller scale in a more experimental way - it was a good way to figure out colour combinations, having to work with the cans I had helped me to figure out how colours work together and how they can be balanced out.
  • I cut different shapes and used them as stencils and combined it with different effects I could get from the spray can like mist and drips.
  • I worked on a range of different materials like wooden boards that I found, canvas, thick clear plastic other broken plastic that I thought could create a nice aesthetic when photographed...



  • I liked working on the clear plastic, having something in the background showing through in the photo creates an interesting effect - this idea could be taken further, experimenting with how the image could work with whatever is in the background?

  • I like how the heads are composed in this canvas, they are balanced out well and centred I think it works well.
  • It has a slightly more graphic and shape based appearance than the others - I involved less thin line work and had bigger sections of solid shape. 
  • Throughout the process of making this the struggle was deciding how much black to use - the shapes are more obvious when not hidden by the black outlines.

  • I enjoyed working with paint pen on top of the spray paint - I creates a nice full vibrant aesthetic, I will continue to experiment with these medias.
  • I like this short gif of the fish it explains the process well - I think process is an important part of my designs. Its good to have some kind of way to show people how I work as a way of promoting myself and my artwork.
  • I will continue to explore different ways that I can show my process' using gifs and other videos - It helps people understand the work.



Favourite Pieces...


  • Im really pleased with this face - it was probably one of the biggest I had done so far and involved the most detail. I felt I discovered a lot whilst producing this - like different patterns and details I could use to fill the space.
  • I felt I discovered a lot about the transition in scale from my sketch idea to the large piece - I found it much easier to only use the sketch as a really really rough guide (i wish I could find the sketch to show) I found not relying on a sketch idea allowed me to understand the space more and just experiment with colours and line around the basic face shapes.

  • Im really pleased with how this looks - I like seeing my drawing on more of an actual object.
  • I think drawing on broken/found objects could be an interesting thing to explore - using media similar to these.
  • I like the fish character - applying my usual tribal lines and other abstraction techniques to something other than a human face is interesting - although this is a fish mixed with a human face, its still beneficial to push what can be done within my character design.

  • I see these two as a set kind of because I created them simultaneously using the same colour pallets. I like the colour combinations they are different to what I usually use and are slightly softer.
  • In the bottom one I like how the character works with the drip - I didn't intend on doing this when making the drip. Making experimental backgrounds and then working characters around them could become a process in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment