Sunday 20 May 2018

Basquiat Exhibition - The Barbican London

Banksy...
  • This is the Banksy tribute to Basquiat that was on the wall outside the venue with protective glass over it. It is a famous Banksy piece and involves one of basquaites famous character designs getting searched and interrogated by police - maybe trying to communicate some of Basquiat's strong views and opinions on society.
Photos from the exhibition...







  • The above piece was one of my favourites in the exhibition. It involves a range of his different approaches to image making like intense bold colour and mask like faces as well as smaller intricate linear line work and writing. I think it does well to demonstrate his practice as a whole.
  • I have been such a massive fan of basquiats work for so long now, seeing his work in person was such an amazing and almost emotional experience for me. I was really familiar with lots of his paintings so seeing them in person was really interesting for me - seeing little details I didnt know existed and observing them at their full scale.
  • I found it very beneficial seeing all of his less major work and sketchbook pages - It really helped me see the nature of work, and realise even more how graffiti and street art and their rebellious / ruleless nature had such an impact on his creative work.
  • There where also some rare interview videos of basquiat speaking about his life and work that helped give an even better understanding of the intentions and personality behind his creations.

Products...


  • I really liked these products that had been re-designed from his paintings and drawings specifically for the exhibition. I thought it was interesting to see his work being applied to products.

No comments:

Post a Comment