Sunday 20 May 2018

Interview - Peteobsolete

A friend recommended Peteobsolete to me and I found him on instagram. I really like his drawings and character creations, I also like how he applies them in almost pattern like way. He would definitely be an interesting artist to interview for my project. I gave him a message and he was happy to answer some questions for me, we also spoke about some collaborations which I will definitely follow up and get thinking of some ideas because that could be good exposure and a fun project to work on.   


Interview...
  • What is your favourite type of commissioned work? Eg murals, prints, digital, paintings, tattoos etc...
There is no 'favourite'! Its vital for me to be able to adapt as an artist. Every request I receive excites me, I think its important to be kept on your toes!
Personally, knowing that someone has an Obsolete pattern or piece in their home is just humbling, let alone a tattoo...
  • What has been your overall favourite / most rewarding project or singular piece of work you have ever done?
Easy.. the KING KEITH piece I painted for the BIG HEART charity event. It is a portrait of 80's illustrator and demigod of illustration, Keith Haring, for Candlelighters (childrens cancer charity in Yorkshire). Realising I'm ok at painting with brushes, then working into the piece with Posca pens and scratching some lyrics into it reminded me of how I used to draw. 
  • When did creating work on a large scale and using spray paint become such a significant part of your practice?
I use spray paint like I use a paintbrush, so its the effects and details in the paint I use that I love. I'm not a graffiti artist, but need to have a week just spraying, its a whole other science altogether! Size is vital in art. It was my Foundation Art course that helped me realise I need to practice big, but I still love working small.. Working on Stage and Radio was the biggest walls I've painted, and felt really comfortable with the size, but give me me a fineliner any day of the week!
  • How long have you been working as an illustrator / artists?
Obsolete was born in Manchester in 2009, I'd been doing bits here and there for a while, but it was from there that anything that left my hand was Obsolete. It all seemed to come from somewhere.. I believe in knowing your history, and looking back at early work from school and college and still find whispers of the handstyle or pattern work cropping up...
  • What advise would you give to a new artist trying to survive in the creative industry?
Advice for survival - you're already there mate! You wouldn't be asking me these questions if you hadn't survived! From experience: 

>Work with as many likeminded and good people as possible - collaborations will help push you to keep experimenting with your style.

>Take the opportunities you find, and make the most out of them - some will work, some wont, but everything is experience points. The ones that don't work are x2!

>You can literally do anything with a positive attitude. Love what you do and it comes back to you. It might not be straight away, but it comes.

>Be willing to adapt your style, but not your integrity - Do your research, know your market, then play with it! See what works and evolve, simple.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really pleased with answers he gave, they where honest and gave a good insight to his positive outlook on his practice. It demonstrates the sort of attitude you need to have to stay motivated and interested in your work. He really enjoyed working on a Kieth Haring project and its clear that he is a big fan Kieths work, is good to see the impact that peoples idols and influences have on their own creations. I thought it was interesting his point about spray painting and how 'size is vital in art', although he is not necessarily a graffiti / street artist - he still values the importance of working on a big scale. I like the name Peteobsolete, I like how the name just came to him, it suites his work well and fits his visual identity. I think the fact about knowing your market is really useful to take on board. The better you know your market and whats available, the better you can apply your skills and creative ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment