Saturday 13 May 2017

MF Doom Commission


  • Someone commissioned me via Instagram to create a MF Doom canvas for somebodies christmas present.
  • They wanted me to create the MF Doom mask in my own way with my own techniques.
  • Because there is so much MF Doom fan art out there I really wanted to experiment with how I could interpret the mask in my own way.
  • I am a fan of MF Dooms music myself so I was really excited by this project.

I started by repeatedly drawing the mask and learning the shapes so that I could start to make them my own.



  • I like the look of having a human nose on the mask - my idea was sort of combining the mf doom mask with an african style mask.
  • I also like the look of the mask slightly un symetrical - like a view from the side, it make a change from how the mask is normally presented.
  • I changed up the design a lot from the original mask but it is still easily recognisable as Doom.


  • I had presumed that I would have the mask floating in the middle of the canvas - but after roughing I decided it would be much better having a body.
  • I wanted the head to be the main focus so I will make it fill most of the space in fit central in the frame.
  • I will just have a subtle stripy body with some arms reaching off the canvas.

Final Sketch
  • This was the final rough I went off for the final canvas, I like the body shape - it fills the space well and keeps the focus on the face.
  • I also wanted some stripes in the background leading off the page in the direction that doom is facing to create a bit of energy and emphasis on him.


Process Gif...


  • With this being a payed commission I approached it much more cautiously. I used a lot of stencils to create the shapes.
  • I did this differently to my other canvas and created all of the colour using spray paint - I didnt use any coloured paint pens - the only paint pens I used where black and silver. I learnt a lot about how I can use stencils and masking to lay down colours in the right places - and then work into it with pens.
  • I started by making a drawing of the character, the exact size i needed for the canvas - I then based all the shapes around this and used it to make the stencils from.

Finished Canvas...
  • I like how it looks involving less paint pen and more spray - the colours and all thick and bold and creates an overall sticking and vibrant aesthetic.
  • I like the background I think the combination of pink and blue works well - I had a rough idea of a colour pallet before hand but i'm pleased it has come together well.
  • As a design it has been really fun to do - doing things like this is beneficial to my practice, it is more relatable for people, its like a piece of fan art. Rather than just making characters from my imagination, it would be good to produce existing characters in my own style - it could gain me more recognition as an artist - producing work that people can relate too and already have interests in (like creating superheroes using my visual techniques could be interesting).
  • I nice touch to the design that i'm pleased with is how the pink shape in the background overlaps his body slightly - I feel like this really helps to involve him with the whole composition. Rather than just appear like a sticker on top of all the shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment