Saturday 13 May 2017

The Libertine Interior Design



  • A bar in Mytholmroyd where I am from asked me if I could spray paint the interior of the bar. It needed 2 of the walls covering - an archway - and a corner toilet room. 
  • It came about because I sold somebody who worked their a T-shirt, its good to see how putting work out into the world in some way will always achieve you some sort of recognition and hopefully lead to more work. 
  • The bar was a really fun project and I learnt a lot of valuable skills, practical skills - general painting, designing the composition, translating between scale, spray paint application working with layers and patterns. I also learnt a lot skills within organisation, time management, planning, dealing with clients and pricing my work.
  • I took a lot of forward planning for this project, deciding on colours and buying paint before hand, because I only had a few days to complete the whole thing - it was important that I had all the materials organised and my ideas ready.
  • I made him an official invoice at the end that had all the prices of equipment/materials I had used and then how much I charged for the mural itself.
  • Looking back now I undercharged myself slightly, I found it hard to price because I had nothing to go against - this was the first large scale commission I had ever done. I now know for next time and have a much better idea of how to price my work.




  • This was a really good opportunity and I think it has opened up new doorways for my practice. I always saw my illustration work, and my graffiti art as two quite separate activities. But it has been really beneficial to see how they can start to come together and how graffiti art and spray painting can come into my professional practice.
  • It is exciting to see how it is possible to have a creative practice that involves large scale spray painting as much as a print based designs.
  • I really want to push my spray painting skills into my professional practice as much as possible because it is something I really enjoy. 
  • I want to capitalise on the skills I learnt from this and carry on using them within my practice. 

  • I was really pleased with the outcome and so was the client - overall it was a really successful project. It gained me a lot of recognition on social media and very shortly after I was asked for another commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment